Search

17-18 Classroom Tour

17-18 Classroom Tour

This year's theme is all things cactus and distressed barn wood! I love that I was able to create a space where my students feel welcomed and at home. Let's begin the tour!

Classroom Design Tip 1: Add lights!
I have lights around my library, storage shelves, and my front bulletin board. I find that by the end of the day, students eyes are tried and strained from being exposed to fluorescent lighting all day long. Not only do they replace the fluorescent lighting, but they help create a space that is calm and inviting. I always give my students the option between the LED or fluorescent, but 9 times out of 10 they choose the LED. You can grab them here!

Classroom Design Tip 2: Library should be front and center!



 Whether you have 50 books or 500, your library should be the main focus of the classroom. You want this space to be inviting and homey for your students. Adding a rug or pillows can help! It has taken me 5 years to get to this point, but it has always been a goal of mine to have a large library where multiple chairs, pillows, and students can fit! Honestly, the hardest part about having a classroom library is how to organize it! I went from organizing it by level to only by genre and I am so happy I did. Taking away the level focus has changed the reading climate in my classroom. Give your students the choice to choose whatever book their little hearts desire. You'll be happy you did!

Classroom Design Tip 3: Student sitting area
MY STUDENTS LOVE THIS AREA! I allow my students to sit anywhere when they are working independently or with partners. I waited until the end of summer to purchase the blue beach chairs from target and I snagged them for $5!! So worth the wait and so cheap! As you can see, I only covered one of the chairs with a cute book print..I've been meaning to cover the other...
The Big Joe chair is from Walmart! It's very durable and comfy! Table was spray painted to match decor and can be found at Ikea.


 Classroom Design Tip 4: Student Centered Bulletin Boards



When designing your classroom, you want to keep the students in mind! Your students should be able to interact or help create each one. Placing student birthdays on the wall is a great way to show you care and are prepared to celebrate their special day! Target's mini balloons were a perfect addition. I traced the balloons using my Smart Board! 

 Our "Goal Diggers" bulletin board is definitely one of my favorites! I love that my students have a space to display their goals (academic or personal)! It was a perfect way to start building our classroom community too. I plan on adding their photos to the bottom...just haven't gotten to it yet!

Keep the quote was inspired from Miss 5th! When I saw it on Instagram last year I knew I had to bring it into my own classroom. Each week, I have a student present the quote of the week and we discuss its meaning and importance! You can find Miss 5th's original post here!





  More bulletin boards! 
 "Currently" bulletin board is from Texas Lone Star Teacher
"Readers Dig Deep" bulletin board can be found here.
Classroom norms were adapted from Ron Clark's Essential 55

 Classroom Design Tip 5: ADD A STAGE!
The classroom stage is all the hype right now and I am all for it! I only spent $60 bucks at my local Home Depot! 

Cactus decor is from Purely Primary 

Thanks for stopping by! If you have any questions please comment below!

No comments

Post a Comment