Search

Character Traits Room Transformation


I don't know if you have noticed, but I LOVE ROOM TRANSFORMATIONS! I probably love them more than my students do....and my students want them all the time!

This one was new for me this year! I've always wanted to do an operating room, but didn't know exactly what standard I wanted to cover! Well, I finally figured it out (obviously)!
----------------------------------------------------
SET-UP & MATERIALS
COVERING WALLS: Whenever you want to cover up your walls to transform your space, I highly recommend using tablecloths from the Dollar Tree! They are super light-weight and easy to hang up. I always hang them up with tacks. I have ceilings where tacks push in very easily and it takes no time at all. Typically it takes me between 45 minutes to an hour to cover 80% of my room and my room is LARGE. 
OPERATING ROOMS: To create the rooms, I hung up one tablecloth on each side. This help create a small space where students could feel like they were in separate operating rooms, but I was still able to see all students. 
LIFE-SIZED OPERATION CHARACTER: These were made from butcher paper. I taped a piece that would fit nicely on each table onto my SmartBoard and traced over a picture I found Google. Once I was done, I traced around my pre-made operation "organs" so that I knew they would fit. I DID NOT trace around the ones from the Google image.  
OPERATION ORGANS: I free handed them! I looked at the images online and copied! Of course they are larger than normal. I wanted them large enough so that students could write character traits on each one. I only made 9 out of the 13 on the original board game. See the picture below to see what I mean. 

STUDENT COSTUMES: I purchased everything from amazon and created the badges which are linked below. Gloves where provided by my school. All items where waiting for the students are their assigned operating room. 
-My doctor outfit
DOCUMENTS:
Thank You, Ma'am
The Scholarship Jacket (Mature words and content)
Possibility of Evil
Badges, doctor files, & patient files
I made one for each group. I paced all of the stories, doctor, and patient directions on one clipboard and provided enough clipboards for each student in the group.
PowerPoint Presentation-surgical room sounds
-The first slide lasts for 50 minutes
-Second slide has the flat-line video (Lasts for 15 seconds)
-Third slide shows what the students need to do to save their patient (Lasts for 2 minutes)
-Fourth slide goes back to the original beep.
(SLIDES SWITCH BY THEMSELVES! All you need to do is click the start button of each video.)

----------------------------------------------------
CONTENT
RL 3 Describe how the characters respond or change as the plot moves toward a resolution.
Identifying character traits can be very tricky for students especially when they have to infer them and then tell me how a character's traits develops the plot. We practiced this skill for two weeks before I felt like they were ready for this transformation. The goal is that they demonstrate mastery of this standard.


STEP ONE: Read the patient's file. This is a short story I provided each group. Now, I always teach to the top. I do not differentiate during transformations. I provide more assistance if need, which is rare. Kids can do amazing things when you give them the chance! Once the entire group finished  reading (they read it together), they could move onto step two.
STEP TWO: Identify the character's "symptoms" aka character traits. Student's analyzed the file for all the components to identify each trait (refer to the document linked at the bottom). I heard so many awesome conversations during this time. As student's diagnosed the patient, they would raise their hands and call Dr. Schrempp over (me). They would have to provide me the evidence from the file that support that diagnosis. If they were correct, they earned an organ! Then, the group would record the trait on the organ and translate it back into the patient's body. In the end, each operating room identified nine qualities. This part took about and hour and a half! BUT of course I had to add a little twist....
PATIENT FLAT-LINED: I made a timed PowerPoint that at about the hour mark the screen switched and all the sudden the flat-line sound went over our speakers. My student's FREAKED! Student's learned that their patients were dying and they only way they could save them was by solving the hard math problem that was on the board. They only had one minute to solve because the human brain only last about 3 minutes without oxygen. You can choose whatever problem you like! I'm all about rigor so my students had a nice long multi-operation expression. & I'm happy to say that all surgeons saved their patients.
EARLY FINISHERS: I only had 2 out of the 4 groups finish about 20 minutes before the rest. You should always have a backup plan for when this happens. I used ReaditWriteitLearnit's character trait autopsy files from her TpT. I handed the task cards to each group and they worked on their already made person. Checkout the link for more details!



 I have provided all of my documents above. Please sure them as you please! I kept the parts for names editable so that you can add your own character names. Remember I  have to rights to all of these documents. If you plan on using them, you must give me credit.

Please tag me in your Instagram photos! I'd love to see this all in action!



2 comments

  1. How can power point be accessed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you please email me the slides or where can I find them? It says you are blocked.

    ReplyDelete